Friday, December 2, 2011

Diabetes and Anonymity

Do you live your life as a Type 1 Diabetic anonymously? I do, almost exclusively. 
 I think it has to do with the idea of people judging me by this disease. I wonder to myself;  if they know I have Type 1, will they worry more about me? Will my moods  be attributed to my Type 1 diagnosis? Will my employer or future employer withhold work or insurance because I am a liability? Will people perceive my Diabetes as a weakness?  I have had this diagnosis for the better part of 3 years and only a few people in my life know.  For me, this is a luxury. 

 I feel more “normal” when I walk into work and no one knows. I feel more “normal” when I go out with friends and I eat my low carb diet and make a joke out of it. I usually say something like; “I hate bread that is why I am taking the meat out of this sandwich”. The great part is people believe me. I mean, who hates bread, pasta, rice, etc?! I could name a hundred examples of this over the past 3 years! I guess I thrive on a feeling of normalcy.
I don’t know about you, but I find that people love to pass judgement, and I for one don’t want to be a “victim” of their ignorance or pity. I have Type 1 and hopefully I will be stronger for it. I think I have more to prove since I was diagnosed with Type 1. I have a great desire to have strength in spirit, in spite of the fears and demand that the disease carries with it. I have chosen to embrace discipline and self control and ultimately manage this disease with a quiet fierceness!  
I am a nurse with years of experience and ironically I care for kids (among others) with Type 1.  I  can envision a day where I will share my Type 1 status . A day when (maybe) I will work as an intercultural nurse, or a Diabetes Educator helping out the children, and adults, who don’t have access to a health care system like ours.

This reminds me… take a moment and look at the utube video titled, "O is For Outrage" in my Hyperlink.  I happened to find this one on World Diabetes Day. It breaks your heart and it is a call to act....
Be well.    

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm looking forward to following yours!

    ReplyDelete