Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dare to reach your hand into the darkness… to pull another hand into the light


It helps me to cope with Type 1 when I can sink my teeth into an area of need that is greater than my own. That isn’t hard to find when you travel outside of the North American continent.
I keep finding my way back to sites that are representative of the people on the planet that don’t have the access to health care that we do. Never has it felt more personal or pressing to me than it does now. I feel a sense of urgency when I read that as few as 1% of children with Type 1 Diabetes born in sub-Saharan Africa live for 6 years. Does that astound you? It is unspeakable, not to mention unthinkable. But of course we really do have to think about this….. and then we have to act.
If you were a parent in Sub Saharan Africa you would be looking at the chance of your child dying from Type 1… or more devastating; hoping that they WILL die (see International Diabetes Federation hyperlink) so that the rest of the family can live. The cost of caring for a child with Diabetes can be over 50% of a family’s annual income, thus making the death of that child a means for which the rest of the children and family can live. No family anywhere should be in this predicament. It is every child’s birth right to live their life to his or her full potential, regardless of where they are born in this world. " No child should be a victim of geography".

I had a conversation with a friend about the burdens affecting those in the developing world. She said that she feels the needs here in the U.S. are so pressing, that to reach a hand to another part of the world seems almost like denying the issues that are right in front of us. 

Perhaps the message I have today is to reach out somewhere and make a difference. If it is in your own backyard or in a place far from your own home.... please, act. Consider donating to  the JDRF, International Diabetes Federation,  International Insulin Foundation, or wherever you think you are needed . Reach out a hand.

 (The title quote is by, Norman B. Rice) 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a very thoughtful and thought provoking post. It has often been in the back of my mind how we would cope in any other country; all our supplies are paid for by the State. Before my daughter's diagnosis T1D wasn't in my awareness at all, now, naturally, I think of little else. Your post has reminded me of my often occuring sense of need to do something for those not so 'geographically' lucky. I'm reaching out that hand now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest in the plight of those Diabetics less fortunate than we are. I look forward to following your posts. Blessings to your family in this new year.

      Delete