Saturday, December 31, 2011

Getting through the holidays on less than 30 carbs a day

With a flurry of family events, gatherings, and numerous holiday meals I was not looking forward to the task of managing a low carb diet. I DID it though! I managed to stick to my low carb ways;  less than 30 carbs a day (for nearly 3 years now!), and kept my blood sugar under 150 most of the time. When my blood sugar gets above 150 I worry... I obsess... and I am generally cranky. Maintaining the low carb diet helps to keep me sane and gives me a sense that I have control.

I realize that I have developed a whole different "relationship" with food. I would say, now,  "I eat to live", not " live to eat".  My endo worries about my weight, (I weigh 110 and have admittedly lost weight on the diet) my sustained ketogenic state, but he can't argue with the success of my A1C, my energy level or my lipids.

There are many aspects of this disease that scare me, leave me humbled, but for today I am going to enjoy the success of avoiding carbs, good numbers and the pleasure of watching the rest of my beautiful family  and friends indulge in food that I can only dream about!

Blesssings and good health to all in 2012. I carry you with me in the journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment