Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hope through Education

I started blogging a few months ago as a way of communicating with my son and other pwd's. I wanted to share with him, and others what Type 1 has meant to me, how I manage my diet and my anonymity. It was cathartic. I feel thankful that my son has connected with the experience through my blog. Over the months since though, I have gradually weaned myself off entering other diabetes blog spots and have made very few entries of my own. When I read other blogs I get scared. Long term complications of Diabetes, the overwhelming demands and fears parent’s face when they have a child with diabetes leaves me feeling powerless.

The feeling of helplessness is dissipating though. I started a course for nurses’ (as well as Physicians, Dentist’s, Nutritionists and Nurse Practitioners). The course is called; Diabetes Management Certification and it is through The University of Southern Indiana. It is an online course for health care practitioners that wish to play a larger role in advocating for people with Diabetes in the health care setting. It has been amazing for me! I have discovered that there is a wealth of knowledge (and then some) pertaining to Diabetes . I am learning about drug therapy for both Type 1 and Type2 Diabetics, nutritional counseling, complications (short and long term) and intervention. I feel so empowered both personally and professionally. For the first time since I got this dreadful disease, I feel like I have a way out of the weak feeling, and will have an arsenal of tools to use with patient care in the Diabetes setting.

I know that there is no cure for Diabetes in sight and we are fighting an uphill battle for control over our blood sugar and our future… but I am welcoming all this new information, processing it and looking forward to working in an endocrinology setting with people who have Diabetes.

I also have a personal goal now, and that is to share my experience with low carbohydrate dieting with other fellow pwd’s in the healthcare setting. This may be the hard task; convincing the status quo that there are other ways to manage Diabetes. My A1c, and daily blood sugars inspire the challenge that is ahead of me.

All the best!

1 comment:

  1. Diabetes a metabolic disease is of two type Type-1 and Type-2 and a person suffering from diabetes has to control the level of sugar and cholesterol as no insurance is assigned for diabetes. diabetes no insurance

    ReplyDelete